What is Software
Software is a set of instructions that tell to computer how to work and what to do
Types of Softwares
The software has two main types
- System Software
- Application Software
Software that controls the computer hardware and enables the computer to run more efficiently.
- Operating System
- Network Operating System
- An Operating System acts as an intermediate layer between the user of the system and the computer hardware
- It is the job of the operating system to tell the computer how to use its own components
- Helps to run application programs
- When a program or the user wants the hardware to perform a task such as copying or printing a file, the operating system handles this request
- Examples of Operating Systems are Windows 8, Windows 10, Linux, and Mac OS.
- Windows is the most popular operating system on desktops and laptops with a market share of around 74.96% among desktop operating systems.
Network Operating System
- A network operating system enables computers to exchange messages and share data across a network.
- A network operating system manages various network operations while at the time taking care of network security.
- An example of a networking operating system is Windows server 2019
- A Utility is software that executes extremely sophisticated tasks and thus makes a computer easy to use.
- Utility programs are used to manage disks, troubleshoot hardware problems, and perform other tasks that the operating system itself may not be able to do
- Dozens of utility software exist for personal computers.
- Treesize is a utility software that shows the complete data structure of a drive. and Antivirus software, Disk cleanup in Windows, Microsoft Disk Optimizer ( formerly Disk Defragmenter), and Windows Backup and restore are some examples of Utility software.
- Application Software tells the computer to perform a specific task for example word Processing, Creating Animations, Photo Editing, etc.
- There are thousands of application software that cater to a myriad of user needs.
- The most common type of word processing software eg: Microsoft Access, MySQL, Oracle RDBMS
- Presentation Software eg: Microsoft PowerPoint
- Graphics Software eg: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Animate
- Entertainment Software eg: Computer Games
- Communication software eg: Microsoft Teams
- Multimedia Software for creating movies eg: Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere Pro
- Web Design Tools eg: Adobe Dreamweaver, Bootstrap
- Web Browsers eg: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge.
- Screen Recorders eg: Camtasia, Screencast-O-Matic
- Whiteboard Animation Softwares eg: VideoScribe, Doodly